This summer, Frontier Agriculture is inviting growers to a number of Covid secure events at their network of 3DThinking trials and demo sites nationwide. Numbers are strictly limited and growers are encouraged to speak to their local Frontier contact for details of dates and times and to reserve a space.
3DThinking open days are a chance to see the work and research Frontier has been doing through the season. Each site features key varieties grown in conditions that match your own. You’ll be able to see demonstrations of the latest advances in crop production, conservation crops, nutrition and crop protection.
Highlights this season include:
- Nutrition trials – Frontier’s Bleasby, Haywold, Honingham and Coldstream sites are all currently undergoing nutrition trials to compare products in development against standard-use fertilisers.
- Seed treatments – Frontier’s Bleasby, Haywold, Honingham and Coldstream sites are exploring a range of biological and chemical seed treatments for enhanced vigour or seed-borne disease control.
- Winter wheat variety trials – Frontier’s Walsham site is trialling fungicide treatment on multiple winter wheat varieties.
- Sustainable crop production – In collaboration with Kings Crops, Frontier’s sites at Bleasby and Haywold are trialling the latest practices in cover and catch crops.
Growers will also see the progress of key varieties involved in trials, including but not limited to:
- RGT Wolverine – Europe’s first BYDV resistant wheat variety
- KWS Colosseum – YEN gold medal winning variety, teaming exceptional yield with high resistance to yellow rust
- LG Prince – the new highest yielding Group 3 biscuit variety, achieving yields similar to top feed wheats
- KWS Cranium – an ultra-vigorous variety suited to late drilling, with a competitive growth habit to help with troublesome grassweeds
- SY Kingston – the highest yielding barley variety in AHDB trials during 2020 – a new go-to option for hybrid barley growers
- KWS Tardis – the conventional 2-row barley with yields that are “out of this world”; likely to be the first true KWS Orwell replacement variety
- LG Antigua – leading hybrid variety combining TuYV resistance, pod shatter resistance and strong autumn and spring vigour
- Flamingo – one of the most resilient conventional varieties with high gross output and excellent spring vigour.
Where can I attend an open day?
The following sites will be offering plot tours this summer:
- Bleasby- Lincolnshire
- Haywold – Yorkshire
- Coldstream- Berwickshire
- Walsham- Suffolk
- Ledbury - Herefordshire
- Honingham – Norwich
Health and safety is Frontier’s number one priority. To ensure visitors have a safe visit, numbers will be limited at all events, social distancing will be enforced and complimentary food and drink will not be served in order to minimise contact.
Take a virtual tour of the plots
To supplement the events taking place, Frontier has also produced a series of videos about varieties in trials at 3D Thinking sites and these will be published to Frontier’s YouTube channel and social media in early July.
To find out more about Frontier’s 3D Thinking open days including booking details, dates and the individual events local to you, speak to your farm trader. Please note, spaces are limited.