We get a huge amount of interest in our iPad app, iSOYL. It is used by over 1,000 customers around the world who find it to be a simple and effective way to vary the rates of seed, fertiliser or any other input. A client once asked me, "How does an app do so much!?" Of course, I explained how iSOYL works, but the conversation got me thinking that many others may be wondering the same and it encouraged me to write this blog to give more detail.
iSOYL for variable rate application
In the world of precision agriculture it is common to create application maps (sometimes known as prescription maps, treatment plans or RX maps) for seed, fertiliser and other inputs. A variable rate application system is needed to use these maps in the field. The industry is blessed with a range of systems from industry leaders such as John Deere, Trimble, Agleader and Topcon.
Our iSOYL app, when used with a special cable and an Apple iPad, is also a variable rate application system.
iSOYL for iPad was designed to accomplish the following:
- Incredibly easy to use, so when you need to work in field you can.
- Low cost so more farmers around the world can use precision agriculture.
- Simple map transfer using 3G or wifi.
To use iSOYL you need three components:
- An iPad or iPad mini. These must have a lightning connector and cellular capability – you don't need a SIM card but if you don't have cellular capability you won't have on-board GPS. You can read more about the specifications needed in this blog post.
- Download the iSOYL app from the Apple App Store.
- Purchase an iSOYL license and connectivity kit (you can do this here).
The license, kit and iPad can normally be put together for less than £1,000, making it a really low cost option for variable rate applications. Plus, the iPad can be utilised on the farm for other uses such as scouting with iSOYL Scout, crop monitoring and can host tools to help with weed identification or weather forecasts.
With the above three components, you have all you need.Application maps can be downloaded into the iSOYL app and the cable connects the iPad to your implement controller:
For specific advice for your business related to this blog or any other aspect of precision crop production get in touch with SOYL.